One of my favorite exercises/demonstrations is completed with a mason jar, some rocks, some gravel, some sand, and some water:
- The demonstration begins by putting a number of rocks in to the jar and asks “Is it full?”
- The audience says “yes” and the speaker proceeds to add in the gravel. Again, he asks “Is it full?”
- The audience hesitates but normally says “yes” and the speaker proceeds to add in the sand. Again, he asks “Is it full?”
- The cycle continues one more time as the speaker adds the water
The lessons from the story are three-fold and are metaphors for life:
- We must put the “big rocks” (i.e. important things) in our life first.
- Even after putting the “big rocks” in our life, there’s still time/space for the other important things in our life.
- We tend to underestimate the “space in our jar” / space in our life.
Every time I see the demonstration, it causes me to reflect on what I’m putting in my personal jar first.
With that in mind:
What rocks are you putting in your jar first?
As always, thanks for the time.
A FAVOR TO REQUEST – If you enjoy reading these posts, please share with a friend or two. My goal is to help as many folks find ways to learn, grow and live more fully. Thanks!