Ah the promise of something wonderful. Something so spectacular that it will change your life. Lures are all around us. And if we’re not careful, we can become “caught” just like a fish…
The challenge is to recognize what has substance and what is simply an illusion. For that, you often need to turn off your external perceptions and focus on your internal beliefs.
Normally a lure:
- Promises something short term and immediate.
- Is disproportionate — either in size or “flash”
- Seems too good to be true.
The recipe to avoid them is easy to state, but hard to execute:
- Ask yourself, is this reasonable?
- Ask yourself, do I really want this / will this really make me happy AFTER I participate?
- Ask yourself, is this consistent with my long term goals?
If, after answering the questions above, you still conclude that the lure is one you want to take/follow, go for it! If, however, you have questions in your mind after going through the above checklist, you might want to reconsider whether the lure is simply designed to bait you in to making a poor decision.
With that in mind:
- Will you be caught by the next lure?
As always, thanks for the time.
A FAVOR TO REQUEST – If you enjoy reading these posts, please share with a friend or two. My goal is to help as many folks find ways to learn, grow and live more fully. Thanks!